When is a fence not just a fence? When it’s a work of art! While having a fence may be something you want for privacy, or need for animals or security, it need not be boring. In addition to attractive fence styles available, you can easily dress up even the plainest of fences with a little creative thinking.
Don’t have a creative bone in your body? No problem – our new Pinterest board has you covered! Check out a wide range of creative fence ideas on our Cool Fence Ideas Pinterest board!
Living Fence Art
Fences are often surrounded by nature like lawns and trees…so why not incorporate nature INTO your fence? Your fence can easily become an extension of your yard or garden. Here are some ways to dress up your fence with living fence art:
– Hang planters from fence posts or shepherd’s hooks in front of your fence
– Install a trellis in front of the fence, and plant climbing flowers like clematis
– Create a raised or ground level garden in front of your fence
– Attach painted or decorated flower pots or rain gutters to your wood fence and plant annuals or herbs
No matter what you choose to do, incorporating nature into your fence will no doubt look amazing!
Painting and Decorating Your Wood Fence
While some may see a wood privacy fence as a barrier, others see it as a blank canvas. With a little paint and imagination, there is no end to how you can turn your wood fence into a work of art. Check out the great ideas for painting your fence on our Pinterest board and you will see:
– Beach scenes that make your backyard look like a resort
– Whimsical images of beloved childhood characters
– Colorful flowers that both extend the garden and stay bright and cheery all year long
If you don’t want to commit to a permanent scene on your fence but still want to dress it up, consider hanging weather-resistant works of art from fence posts. Some ideas to hang on your fence include:
– Old windows (stained glass is fun!)
– Metal art
– Picture frames
– Colorful bird houses
– Chalkboard for changeable art!
In addition to turning your fence into a work of art, you can also increase its functionality by installing decorative lighting. On our Pinterst board you will see creative ideas for adding lighting to your fence that turn your backyard into a nighttime wonderland. Fence lighting ideas include:
– Hanging mason jars with sand and tea lights
– Installing solar powered lights to fence post tops
– Hanging solar powered lights from hooks
Of course, we would be remiss if we didn’t mention that you should use care when considering sprucing up your fence. Permanent installations on new fencing may void a warranty if you have one. Also, if your home is subject to HOA restrictions, permanent installations on your fence may be against the rules. Do a little research, then if you can…Let your imagination run wild!
For more ideas, follow our Pinterest page by clicking here.